So you have went to that website and downloaded the latest version of your files. But they are in a tar.gz format, How do you extract them to your site.
First what is a tar.gz file, this just means that the tar has been compressed.
Say you want to extract the tar you just download called lastest.tar.gz from wordpress.
tar -zxvf latest.tar.gz
- -z : Uncompress the resulting archive with gzip command
- -x : Extract to disk from archive
- -v : Verbose..aka show you what its doing
- -f : Read the archive from the called latest.tar.gz
By default this will get extracted into your current directory
What if you want it moved to your html directory
tar -zxvf latest.tar.gz -C /var/www/html
What if you just want to view the files in the tar.gz but don't want to extract them yet
tar -tzvf latest.tar.gz
- -t : List the contents of the archive